[Gllug] proxy-arp and a vpn

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jun 21 17:08:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 16:41 +0100, Peter Grandi wrote:
[snip]
> Ah, hear hear! Quite similar to what I was thinking :-) In case
> it may be useful for giving to people who ask vague questions, I
> have summarized my suggestions on how to ask questions (especially
> but not just on IRC) in page at this URL:
>
>   http://WWW.sabi.co.UK/Notes/linuxHelpAsk.html
>
> and I think these suggestions are a lot better than ESR's ;-).

Some time ago I made a suggestion to ESR for an addition to his page.
He rejected it and seemed to think I was imagining a non-existent
problem.  I'll offer it to you anyway - something along the lines of:

	If someone asks you to perform a diagnostic step or
	to provide additional information in order to solve your
	problem, do exactly what they've asked you to do and provide
	exactly the information they've asked for.  Don't just give
	some other information instead which you think might be
	helpful or repeat the original question in a different way.
	*Don't* edit the information to remove the parts you "know"
	they don't need.

Hmm.  That didn't come out as well phrased as it did when I suggested it
to ESR.  Doubtless you can put it better, but I hope the point which I'm
making is clear to those who have had to perform remote diagnostics
where the bod at the keyboard won't give you the information you need.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk