[Gllug] Best single CD Linux distro

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 19 13:11:20 UTC 2005

I'm looking for a single CD linux dsitribution that we (Computeraid) could
ship with refurbished computers and I'd be interested in hearing other
peoples opinions on the various options.

The situation is as follows:
We will not be preinstalling the CD.
The computer hardware is x86 old stuff min spec: 64MB P2
The computer hardware is very variable.
Users may not have massive amounts of experience using computers.
Installation to disk is highly desirable for obvious reasons.
Users may not have Internet Access.
These will be mainly desktop users, office applications, web, email, etc,
are required.
Microsoft Word compatibility is desirable.
Once we've decided we'll be stuck with the choice for a while as we'll be
getting thousands of CDs burnt.

So far:
Mophix light struggles with 64Meg ram and doesn't do automatic partitioning.
I'm trying Ubuntu linux right now, and this seems very suitable from reading
the website.
I'm going to try knoppix.

Has anyone else tried Ubuntu? Is there anything else I should try? Any other
opinions?

Thanks,
Matt.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk