[Gllug] Re: Gates to get Knighthood!!!

David Abbishaw David at Abbishaw.com
Wed Mar 2 16:31:09 UTC 2005

I really didn't want to get into a war over this one BUT....

Before Bill gates came along and started offering (sorry licensing - and
that's very important if you know his history) Dos to IBM (and just for that
hat I used to work for IBM and wasn't keen on the company at all.), IBM did
not have anything sensible to run on their hardware.  Dos -> Windows etc
really sold that hardware, and probably made people want to clone it. Thus
cheap commodity PCs became easily available.

Yes maybe someone else would have got there BUT they didn't - Bill has
amazing foresight (or at least creativity to see what people want) and He's
still doing this today, there are loads of alternatives to Windows (and his
marketing skill have bought the competitors like Apple)  but people still
keep on buying and stealing :) his products.

Now I'm not advocating a side here folks I make my living supporting and
writing software for both Linux and Windows and I happen to like and use
them both.  OK I'm not keen old older Window 95 etc but at the time they
were definitely better the Linux could offer to ME as a desktop OS, and
before that Novell servers products were better.  Times change.  Maybe one
day Linux will really be able to compete with Windows as a desktop OS. At
the moment its appears to me (and this is my opinion!!!) its trying to keep
up with and copy Windows not really innovate, but that's probably another
war :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk