[Gllug] How to prove a computer is overheating.

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 19 16:43:38 UTC 2005

On Sat 19 Mar, Russell Howe wrote:

> This was a bit odd, and then I saw the radiator behind it...

   We had a long history of problems with aircon units unable to cope with
heat generated. Most of the problem was due to the physical size of the heat
exchangers in an extremely compact mobile environment. We might have
anything up to 20 people in a lorry that had a maximum power intake of
around 45 KW, with about four 7 KW aircon units. Fan noise could be very
loud as we pulled air through, but when the humidity was high we sometimes
had to switch off the cooling for a while to clear the ice. It was quite
normal to have equipment front panels hot enough to burn fingers. It is now
standard practice to have round holes cut into the vehicle sides that can be
uncovered to allow additional external portable cooler units to be deployed,
although even this is barely sufficient when there are several vehicles
throwing hot air at each other. We used to test equipment under maintenance
by covering it with overalls or aiming hot or cold air guns at specific
areas.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk