[Gllug] Logo as a first language

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Mar 9 21:09:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Richard Jones suggested tentatively:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 01:59:37PM +0000, Nix wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Richard Jones announced authoritatively:
>> > Luckily (OCa-)ML is a practical functional language, and actually lets
>> > you do all the useful stuff like IO and mutable variables without
>> > complaining ...
>>
>> Via monads, I presume? :)
>
> Good god man, no!
>
> It's a practical language.  If you mark a variable as mutable or a
> reference (which is a special case of mutable), then you can update
> it.

You mean you can actually *change* something's *value*? *gasp*
Sacrilege! The Priests of the Ivory Tower shall cast thee out for the
crimes of heresy and excessive utility!

Seriously though, it sounds actually like it might be useful (unlike ML,
mostly, alas, which I've found useful for code generators and other
hefty computation jobs and not much else). Bumped up to #2 on my
to-learn list (after Cayenne) accordingly.

>     It's just like C or C++, except in reverse.

... and with some actual elegance. :)

--
> ...Hires Root Beer...
What we need these days is a stable, fast, anti-aliased root beer
with dynamic shading. Not that you can let just anybody have root.
 --- John M. Ford
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk