[Gllug] Re: Gates to get Knighthood!!! (Andrew Halliwell)

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Mar 2 17:55:25 UTC 2005

Jack Bertram wrote:
> Everything you say is true - but when the explosion in GUI use came
> about, it was Windows 3.0 and then Windows 95 that catalysed it, not
> Apple.  [1990 is spot on - that was the year Windows 3.0 was released,
> if I remember correctly.  I was still using WordPerfect 5.1 in those
> days...]

Did you ever use Windows 3.0?  I can't imagine that catalysing anything
except a deep dislike for it :)

Microsoft basically produced a load of pants up till Windows 3.1 - that
was the product that really made them, and at the time it was a useful
bit of kit too, since it enabled people to use a word processor *and*
receive their (internal, corporate) email.  Up till then there had been
no need for multitasking, but the whole email thing suddenly meant
everyone needed it.

Bit of a killer app at the time really.

Their leveraging of Windows into the office software market was a stroke
of genius, as was his subsequent exploitation of his monopoly, but i'm
not sure it deserves a knighthood on top of the oodles of cash they made
too.

But then again, a reward based on a corrupt and offensive aristocratic
notion of nobility is probably appropriate reward for bullying and theft :)

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk