[Gllug] code optimisations

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 10:42:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Chris Ball mused:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 02:15:40PM +0000, Rich Walker wrote:
>> I thought there was a preference not to use #pragma ("it's irredeemably
>> broken")? Or has this changed?
>
> I think in this case it's mainly for compatibility with icc, but
> #pragma did become slightly less evil with C99.

Well, #pragma didn't, but the new _Pragma, which is not a preprocessor
construct and so is generatable from macros, did. :)

>                                            Also, gcc doesn't
> support annotations (ie. attributes) of statements, so I'm having
> trouble imagining a syntax for loop annotation using attributes.
> (Which doesn't mean it's not possible.)

Well, if we're trying to spot data dependencies, surely a variable
or type attribute would do the trick? __attribute__((alias_set()))
seems ugly and hard to use, though...

... and this is the wrong list. Sorry, I'll shut up now. :)

--
This is like system("/usr/funky/bin/perl -e 'exec sleep 1'");
   --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk