[Gllug] vi vs emacs (repeat)

Robert Newson ran at bullet3.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 20:13:11 UTC 2005

Rich Walker wrote:

> <flame-retardent on - check>
> <water extinguisher - check>
> <CO2 extinguisher - check>
> <Petrol canister - check>
>
> David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
>>A proper vi user uses :wq not ZZ. :-)
>
> :wq is the only vi command I know, or have ever needed to know.

Just to be perverse, isn't :wq actually an 'ex' command - the vi ':' being a
prefix to an ex command.

But then again, ex and vi are the same editor: ex is linemode, vi is visual.

I would have to say that (<ESC> and) ":q!" would be the only vi command(s)
everyone should know.  If you want to make actual use of the editor, then a
few more, like ":wq", h, i, j, k, l, x  are fairly essential.

One thing I miss from vim is the ability vi had to use dumb terminals - I
actually have a glass teletype here which I occasionally used as a terminal
(via a serial port) to test some stuff I was writing.  Being able to use vi
on a dumb terminal was extremely useful as I didn't have to bother learning
a line editor.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk