[GLLUG] Slightly OT - Netiquette at work

Robert Newson ran at bullet3.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 19:53:47 UTC 2005

Doug Winter wrote:

> Steve Nelson wrote:
>
>> I've been grumbled at by managers for *not* top-posting at work!
>
> I've been told a few times that my replies are "more confusing" because
> i respond to points individually.  I haven't divined what less confusing
> way of responding there is, and I never bothered even getting into the
> argument to be honest.
>
> In the corporate world people rarely actually listen to an argument or
> change their minds, and are very rarely persuaded by fact, so it's often
> not worth even replying to people who are objecting to your way of working.
>
> (To be fair to them, the metrics of success for management are often so
> completely divergent from anything approaching reality that it's not
> their fault if they end up ignoring it - they are just doing their jobs.)
>
> You are generally better to sidestep issues completely if you encounter
> this sort of thing.  Often if you just ignore what people say and just
> keep doing whatever it is you wanted they give up moaning and let you
> get on with it.
>
> doug.

If you want to moan at top posters, try totally top posting, ie this message
should have been sent as:

 > doug.
 >
 > You are generally better to sidestep issues completely if you encounter
 > this sort of thing.  Often if you just ignore what people say and just
 > keep doing whatever it is you wanted they give up moaning and let you
 > get on with it.
 >
 > (To be fair to them, the metrics of success for management are often so
 > completely divergent from anything approaching reality that it's not
 > their fault if they end up ignoring it - they are just doing their jobs.)
 >
 > In the corporate world people rarely actually listen to an argument or
 > change their minds, and are very rarely persuaded by fact, so it's often
 > not worth even replying to people who are objecting to your way of
 > working.
 >
 > I've been told a few times that my replies are "more confusing" because
 > i respond to points individually.  I haven't divined what less confusing
 > way of responding there is, and I never bothered even getting into the
 > argument to be honest.
 >
 >> I've been grumbled at by managers for *not* top-posting at work!
 >
 > Steve Nelson wrote:

If you've got a bit of time, go totally top posted and reverse the lines of
every paragraph as well.  The your reply follows after their message as long
as your read from the bottom up, which presumably top posters do.

All the languages that I've met read left to right or right to left (and one
that reads both), but they all read down the page.  We now have
top-posting-emails that read up the page!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk