[Gllug] Anyone having broadband (probably PlusNet) problems today?

Doug Winter doug at isotoma.com
Thu Mar 24 07:29:21 UTC 2005

Dylan wrote:
> I do this (I think) with a Conexant unit. The ADSL router has a routable
> IP on the external connection, and a non-routable one on the internal.
> The gateway/firewall has THE SAME IP on its external interface
> (connected to the router by ethernet) and a routing rule to access the
> router's internal address. The upshot is that only the gateway needs to
> do NAT and port forwarding etc as the router simply hands over all
> packets. A down side is that it can be somewhat arcane to re-establish
> a connection if the ADSL link dies since the router will only talk to
> one box in this config, and then only when it has assigned the IP by
> dhcp with 60second leases. I'd much prefer to have the router be a
> truly transparent bridge.

The Conexant can act as a PPPoA <-> PPPoE bridge if you want, and then
you can run your PPP connection on your gateway.  I wrote a howto once:

http://adju.st/papers/openbsd-adsl-wlan-howto.html

I ran like this for years, but finally had to ditch the firewall when
the computer room became a nursery :)

doug.

--
doug at isotoma.com   / Isotoma, Open Source Software Consulting
Tel: 020 7620 1446 / Mobile: 07879 423002 / Fax: 020 79006980
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk