[Gllug] acroread seven for linux released

Nick Richards nick.richards at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 18:46:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:41:23 +0000, Craig Millar <craig at pablo.xplode.org> wrote:
> If anyone else finds the open source pdf viewers for linux inadequate (i.e.
> butt-ugly, limited or no text search capability, crap navigation, etc, etc), adobe have just released version 7 for linux:
>
> ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/7x/7.0/enu/

It's certainly much better than their last attempt at a reader for
Linux and should be useful if you've got to fill in forms etc.
Personally I use Evince:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/evince/

Which I think satisfies most of your complaints above but there's
certainly a valid market for an Adobe alternative.

> think it may still be in beta as you can't seem to get it off their usual webpage.

Yep it is, I heard something about a Netherlands tax submitting
deadline somewhere as to why it's available. Could be completely made
up though.

> as an aside, could anyone tell me why commercial software houses almost invariably go with gtk for their linux apps?

Well, it's not a Linux app but Adobe Photoshop Album is written in Qt.
As for the rest, budget? Linux ports are inevitably under resourced.

Nick
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk