[Gllug] Anyone having broadband (probably PlusNet) problems today?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 10:51:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Russell Howe stated:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:04:00AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>
>>    Not sure what you are trying to do, but I thought it was possible to
>> allocate a non-routeable IP address to the ADSL modem, which is just used to
>> convert PPPoA to ethernet, and allocate the official IP address to the
>> firewall.
>
> A possibility, although I don't know if the ISPs PPP stuff would allow
> you to negotiate any address but the one you are assigned - I doubt it,
> somehow.

You don't need to do that. At least with my (external) ADSL router (Dabs
Value, Conexant firmware), the router advertises your IP address to you
via DHCP. (It calls this `PPP half bridging mode'.)

(its DHCP implementation is horrible: it won't listen to you *at all*
unless you accept an address from it via DHCP --- which feels a bit
stupid in my case because I have static IP and *know* what my interface
address should be --- and it sends lease renewals every thirty seconds
with a one-second timeout... but it still somehow manages to work.)

--
This is like system("/usr/funky/bin/perl -e 'exec sleep 1'");
   --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk