[Gllug] Stories of using filters

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 06:41:00 UTC 2005

Hello All,

I'm doing some teaching this quarter, which includes going through a
number of the unix filter-type commands.  I'm trying to assemble a
number of real-life examples of when these have been useful, rather
than using trivial examples.

eg I've used od to compare binary files, look at contents of wtmp,
demonstrate the difference between dos and unix new line breaks.  Or,
I've used tr and crypt in a script to do some simple encoding and
decoding of a plain-text password.

Would people like to contribute some real-life examples of using:

od
nl
paste
tr
cut
fmt
expand
join
pr
cut
tac
split

I've got a few real life examples from my own experience, but there's
a lot more experience out there than I've had!

I'll then collate the examples into a nice doc, and maybe even give a
gllug presentation of practical uses of these tools.

I remember Bruce's example of using netcat with a borked laptop - its
always so helpful when you can give a real, useful example of a tool
rather than just giving a dry theoretical example.

Thanks guys,

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk