[Gllug] The netwroked house - a terminal in every room >;)

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Mon Mar 7 18:12:23 UTC 2005

One of our Oxluggy number is busy renovating our new house in Charlbury
and we have been discussing what sort of comms wire to run - and how to
put a "terminal" in every room (well, a number of rooms) in the most
economical manner.

Cabling: Might as well run a couple of gigabit wires and trunking into
every room as all the floorboards are up at the moment, though I suspect
flushing the bog will require a terabit link within the decade...

I don't trust wireless nor its collision with other wireless nodes (this
is already a problem around this area of Summertown) and if wireless is
going to be used anywhere, its going to be wired into the immediate area
and then a short range bluetoothing.

But to the "terminals". Rather than sink money into a number of new
personal computers, the idea would be to sink money once into a recent
(but second hand preferably) powerful server. The only reason to run
windows is on a machine or two for the kids to play games upon, which I
will confine to the kitchen or similar so I can keep an eye on them. I
also want to restrict their ability to browse sites unsupervised, but
that is another issue for now though will become more pressing to find a
vetted access to websites, like what the schools use.

How should I go about doing this server/terminal system?

One option is to use a number - 3 or 4 I think -  400-500mhz
motherboards around, with enough atx cases for them, and enough ram for
256-384mb ram for those, more if I denude the grownups PC's of a couple
of 128mb sticks. Though the cases are large, clunky and not exactly
quiet. Could do for the kids' "playroom" for example.

Can these be pressed into service? I'll have to invest in some new
monitors as there are none associated with these, all being boards left
over from upgrades, and cases from long dead atx format p133 era machines.

Or should I invest in some new or second hand dedicated "terminals"? If
so, what? ( Or mini-ITX 'pooters? If so, what specs?

What is the relationship in serving up x sessions to a fairly dumb box,
i.e between the speed with which screens will be drawn and perceptions
of "fast" and "slow" on the user end, between the server in t'loft, and
the speed of the terminal - a 500mhz board with say 384 ram. Or for a
mini-ITX probably faster and a bit more ram. What is the relationship
between the video output on the terminal in terms of its "card" and
itsspeed, compared to the power of the server?

As we are increasingly using weblinked computers as our newspaper and
magazine, TV and Radio guide (and love to organise a video recorder)
source for correspondence, voip beckons (or not) and so forth the
concept of "comp[uter" is fading from our horizons to be replaced with
general purpose information portal, and I for one miss the loss of the
living room 'pooter (to make the place look nicer for selling) as I
would spend quite a lot of time down there pottering reading etc. whilst
the kids played on the floor, rather than mooching off to the distant
eyrie of the loft room.

Given that we have a house with no boards and lots of wiring etc. being
done, seems a good chance to wire the place up thoroughly. But I do want
to stick to a budget - all the dosh is borrowed money!!

How can I go about meeting all these needs and what are the technical
aspects of making up a "server" and "terminal" system with only a couple
of full-power "personal-computers", using either old equipment for the
terminals, or something more modern with a little pretty box rather than
hulking ATX cases (even though those may be quieter without any disks in
them and see wht can be done about fans).

I await the prognostications of the assembled cognoscenti with profound
interest!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk