[Gllug] [ot] borked net transaction

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri May 6 16:30:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 15:49 +0100, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 03:47:36PM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> > Perhaps Tet would care to enlighten us as to actually what DOES happen if
> > you dispute a credit card transaction ...
>
> So far as I can tell after disputing a chain of transactions with Egg,
> sweet FA.
>
> You certainly *don't* get your money back.

Sounds like a good reason not to have a card from Egg then.  (I once
applied for a card from them but they were so stunningly incompetent I
cancelled the application before they finished processing it.)

I've never had any difficulty getting my money back on disputed
transactions.  The onus is on the retailer to *prove* that you placed
the order, not the other way around.  IME both American Express and MBNA
will apply a temporary credit to your account immediately you raise the
query, then if the retailer can't justify the charge or simply doesn't
respond, the credit becomes permanent.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk