[Gllug] [OT] spam accident

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 19 09:29:13 UTC 2005

at school we often had spam, mashed potato and beetroot for lunch, and
the pink-purple result usually looked like a gruesome accident - but I
don't want to bore you with fond memories...

Someone at work receives emails from an organisation who sent one
particular email to about 200 people. The email somehow "got replicated"
and filled up our POP server and many others with 1000s of copies of
itself.

The organisation responsible for this accidental DOS have explained that
this was because of a dodgy email server 'somewhere in Shropshire' madly
spawning copies of the email, but I wondered if putting so many
addresses into one email might be partly responsible. Has anyone come
across something similar?

Perhaps I should suggest they use proper mailing list software?

cheers,
Tom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk