[Gllug] mobiles, nagios & uk market

mimo mimo at restoel.net
Sat May 28 21:56:45 UTC 2005

I had planned to start this with a rant about the "market" of mobile phone
providers in the uk. A look at their websites is enough to understand it's a
total rip-off -- they dont even try to give you the illusion they were
competing with each other. Ever heard of syndication. Where is ofcom when you
need them?  Well on their website they say "have a look at the providers'
websites"...
Anyway, I'm trying to find the best solution for this problem. I have nagios
set up to deliever alerts about server problems and I want to send them via
text message to mobile phones. gnokii (http://www.gnokii.org/) takes care of
talking to a mobile phone connected to the nagios central machine. All I'm
looking for now is the cheapest mobile phone offer to deliever the messages
(btw, using a commercial mail2sms gateway is not an option). I would think
someone else on this list is doing something similiar. Any recommendations in
terms of provider/tariff or even hardware (like a gsm card)?

Thanks,

mimo
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk