[Gllug] Small clusters

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu May 5 20:42:39 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 20:05 +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What do people think about small cluster software? Specifically, 2
> machines, starting out running Debian, with plenty of disk space, used
> as generic servers with NFS/SAMBA exports, such that each machine has
> one copy of all the disk space, and failover works for NFS+SAMBA.
>
> Mosix is probably not the answer...
Rich, are you referring to a failover type cluster or a compute cluster?

As a coincidence, in the office today we discussed a 'cluster on wheels'
project. We're pricing an eight-node turnkey cluster, delivered working
to your desk. Hopefully running off (n) 13 amp plugs.
We'll do a two node if you like!

If you're looking at a database or applications cluster,
drop me an email offline re. http://www.emicnetworks.com/
I'd be very interested to hear if this is useful to you.
May be useful to us to let you have some test time.

Commercial over...
For a two-node failover cluster you should look at Linux-HA.
http://www.linux-ha.org
The shared storage is needed for  NFS/SAMBA.
At the higher end, you need a SCSI array with dual ports.
The alternatives would be a Firewire disk and Firewire hub,
the bargain alternative is to use DRDB - think of it as software RAID
over a network. http://www.drbd.org

Think of shared SCSI as to DRBD as hardware RAID is to software RAID.
Cut your cloth to suit your budget.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk