[Gllug] phone memory stick

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Tue May 31 09:39:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 08:31:21AM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> Having had my arm twisted by my 17 y/old into buying him a new 'phone (with all
> sorts of gimos) to replace the one that he had broken, I noticed that one thing
> that came with it was a small connector (flat 1/4" wide 1/2" long) into which which
> he can put some memory and plug it into the front of any (modern) PC.
>
> Does any one know about this sort of connection ? Name, characteristics, supported
> by Linux .... ?

Almost certainly secure digital (SD), or possibly even mini-SD (is
anything using that yet?).

SD cards are fairly inexpensive.

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=10226&opener=DFT

The price difference between 512MB and anything less is so small that it
is hard to justify buying lower capacity cards.

Also see Crucial Technology, who have a pretty good rep as a memory
supplier (lifetime warranty, Royal Mail special delivery on all orders,
etc)

http://tinyurl.com/7lhbw

Crucial and Aria also sell the necessary PC peripherals required to
access these cards. They are typically a USB device with a bunch of
slots accepting different formats of flash card, and appear as a
standard (usually!) USB mass storage device, and work just fine in
Linux.

See
http://tinyurl.com/a2tno
and
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Submit=search&Category=163

There are several kinds of card readers, including ones built into
other devices (you can buy DVD rewriters with card slots in the fascia -
saves a bit of space). You can also get internal ones, which fit in a
3.5" drive bay (of the type used by floppy drives).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk