[Gllug] [OT] BBC Subtitles on live events

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sat May 21 18:55:54 UTC 2005

Morris, Simon wrote:
> Sitting here watching the Cup Final with the BBC subtitles....
>
> Quite amusing to see the mistakes that appear on the subtitles
>
> "18" = a team
> "Rock Star" = Rob Stiles
>
> A well as some random words that were obviously wrong inserted into the text. Random instances of the word "bacon" showed up a few times.
>
> How does Auntie handle subtitles for live events like this? Voice recognition software? Some poor sole typing words in making mistakes? Team of especially trained monkeys?
>
> I'd be impressed if it was VR software as there were some pretty inaudible accents being interviewed.
>
> Anyone know??

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=subtitles+stenography+speech+recognition

http://www.broadcastpapers.com/editing/ibc03BBCSubtitling-print.htm

Most of the subtitles are provided by stenographers, using phonetic
principles to produce text rapidly from a “steno” keyboard and
translation software

Speech subtitlers will listen to the programme on headphones and will
re-speak the words, précising if necessary. Because they have spent a
considerable time training the speech recogniser, and background noise
and varying acoustics are eliminated, about 98% recognition accuracy can
be achieved, which is on a par with stenography.

--

Sean
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk