[Gllug] Server ISP recommended?

will will at willj.net
Fri May 13 08:36:42 UTC 2005

Jan Kokoska wrote:
>>www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk do the job for us.
>
> Whoa, redesigned website, the kittie prettier now.
>
> Last time I checked it was just the two of them, with other full time
> jobs, running BCN on the side... ahh, since March 2004 full time. OK, a
> bit better, but I am still looking for a bigger shop for this.
>
> Not exactly BT, mind you, but that is already ruled out as we require
> competence ;)

Just some of my experiences.

I have hosted a server with Blackcat and they were very professional and
competent, I would recommend them, although it was only one server so I
couldn't comment on how good they are at larger systems.

I have used star (http://www.star.net.uk/ ISTR) before for a set-up with
1 load balancer, 2 web servers and a DB server and everything went OK,
no problems, professional and a much larger outfit than blackcat, but
not cheap.

Alternatively Verio (http://www.verio.co.uk/) have done some very large
HA systems and do have some very competent people working there.  Pricey
though.  I used to work there quite a few years ago but have no real
bias towards them, they made me redundant ;)

HTH, will.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk