[gllug] iostat

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Wed May 4 14:37:30 UTC 2005

Hello Chums,

A question that has arisen from something I read on the linixmanagers list.

A chap was asking about finding the serial number of a disk.

On Solaris this is easy:

[nelsost1 at isasecdb nelsost1]$ iostat -En
c1t0d0          Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: SEAGATE  Product: ST318305LSUN18G  Revision: 0340 Serial No:
3JKP8BDE00002220
Size: 18.11GB <18110967808 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
c1t1d0          Soft Errors: 1 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: SEAGATE  Product: ST318305LSUN18G  Revision: 0340 Serial No:
3JKP9P9500002221
Size: 18.11GB <18110967808 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 1
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
c0t0d0          Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 184 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: TEAC     Product: CD-224E          Revision: 1.7A Serial No:
Size: 18446744073.71GB <-1 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 184 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

Linux iostat doesn't appear to do this, and I don't see anything in
the manual page which looks like a differently named switch with the
same functionality.

Any ideas how to do this?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk