[Gllug] gcc compiler versions

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Nov 23 11:43:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 11:27 +0000, TM wrote:
> Many thanks to everyone who helped with the different suggestions.
>
> I have installed 'compat-libstdc++-33' with yum. The compilation process
> of the example code went a bit further. However, I get an error message,
> generated by an executable which is part of the simulation packages that
> we want to use. It reads that Fedora Core is not a supported OS... I
> guess I have to install Scientific Linux instead.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with Scientific Linux? I know it is
> based on Red Hat so it shouldn't be too different to manage.

Yup, have a big install with SL.

Download the ISOs, either burn them or mount on an install server.
You can knit them together to create a DVD for install (small script on
the site).
Alternatively download the boot.iso CD image, which is considerably
smaller, and do a network install from a handy mirror, such as
www.mirrorservice.org

Re. Fedora, you could look in the code and see where that error message
is coming from, and maybe amend it, if you are confident you have all
the correct library versions.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk