[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 14:57:01 UTC 2005

On 11/3/05, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005, Tethys wrote:
> >
> > Aaron Trevena writes:
> >
> >>Then you really aren't much use as a sysadmin or programmer IMHO.
> >
> > Really? Whatever you say.
>
> Well, Perl is disgusting but foul though the language is as a language,
> CPAN makes it utterly irreplaceable for a whole pile of things.
>
> Just take extreme care when writing anything big, 'cos Perl won't
> stop you being undisciplined and your code may sag apart faster than
> yuo can put it together.

Oh dear - GLLUG is getting as bad as slashdot in this regard.

Where I work now, we are dealing with large, fairly complex projects
with multiple developers using perl without hitting this at all, even
without using CS graduates, very experienced developers or even making
use of the good practice available and this isn't the case.

However working with some projects in other languages including Java,
PHP and C# we see exactly this problem. SugarCRM is near impossible to
debug or maintain or extend - a total trainwreck. The little java
we've had to deal with has been on a par with Matt's Script Archive
and 2 big .net projects we have dealt with have been so poorly
designed and poorly implemented to be no better than PHP.

There is not point talking to some of the irrational zealots on this
list, but mud does occasionally stick and it's better to correct these
nonsense myths and the idle speculation of people who couldn't code a
CPAN module.

cheers,

A.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk