[Gllug] Enlightenment menus

Chris Hutchison chris.hutchison at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 12:28:42 UTC 2005

On 24 Nov 2005, at 16:40, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:38:28PM +0000, Chris Hutchison wrote:
>> hi, all
>>
>> I'm undoubtedly missing something ... I'm configuring menus in
>> Enlightenment.  Even though /sw/bin in in my $PATH, I find that apps
>> in, for example, /usr/X11R6/bin launch fine, while those in /sw/bin
>> don't unless I state the full path.
>>
>> chrishut% echo $PATH
>> /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>>
>> For example, the first below launches XTerm without complaint, the
>> second launches NMap only with "/sw/bin/nmapfe" and not with nmapfe
>> alone:
>> "XTerm" NULL exec "xterm"
>> "NMAP" NULL exec "/sw/bin/nmapfe"
>>
>> Any Enlightenment users out there who can enlighten me?
>
> Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but you have restarted your
> window
> manager after changing your profile?

Yep, had done so.

By the way, I perhaps should have pointed out (though you might have
guessed) that I'm running Enlightenment on a Mac under X11 1.0 /
XFree86 4.3.0

I can launch applications OK from the prompt in a terminal window (viz.
% nmapfe rather than % /sw/bin/nmapfe); only in the Enlightenment menus
(file.menu, editors.menu, etc) do I need to state the full path ...
which makes me wonder whether this is an Enlightenment-specific thing

> Where do you define your path?

Hhmmm ... I'm stumped.  My /etc/profile file reads:

	# System-wide .profile for sh(1)

	PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
	export PATH

so I guess it ain't there.  But since I set the $PATH from the prompt,
I've no idea where
	/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
is defined

cheers

Chris

> Ben.
>
> --
> Registered Linux user number 339435
> --

Chris Hutchison
Richmond upon Thames
Surrey, UK

"Computers are like air conditioners, they don't work properly if you
open Windows"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk