[Gllug] Sony Protected CD's apparently installing rootkits...

Junior Williamson junior at acetechno.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 14:59:13 UTC 2005

On Sunday 13 November 2005 16:45, Nix wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Peter Childs uttered the following:
> > Of course wether there is any thing actually wrong with what Sony have
> > done is actually open to debate.
> > If sony are only using loop holes in Microsofts code that Microsoft
> > have left in their closed source.
>
> By that definition, the exploitation of bugs which lead to security
> holes is not the fault of the exploitee but of the person who left
> the holes in there.
>
> That is *not* a direction you want to go in.

This particular approach of Sony  to copyright protection is completely wrong
and I am glad it is being nipped in the bud both technically and (hopefully)
legally. Installing dangerous software by stealth with no straightforward
means of removing it makes them no different to those criminals and evil
hackers who want to do exactly the same for their own nefarious ends.

Even Microsoft don't like this and are taking steps

You see, I have no problem with copyright protection, as long as fair use is
allowed. With the EULA that goes with these "CDs", even that is not available
to the user as shown here

	http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004145.php

I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but grudgingly I have to agree
with Microsoft on this particular issue :-( Now to wash my mouth out with
soap....

Regards

Junior

Junior Williamson