[Gllug] BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL Modem

Peter Joanes pjoanes at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 17:10:48 UTC 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 14:55, Henry Gilbert wrote:
> I would strongly suggest getting a router for many many reasons.
> USB ADSL Modems are just not worth the bother.

Whilst a separate router device is probably easier for newbies, there can be
advantages to using some USB ADSL modems. They are very cheap, don't require
a separate power socket, and integrate the incoming network interface with
your homemade linux router (this is also true of an ethernet bridging ADSL
modem).

I have an Alcatel Speedtouch 330 which, crucially, has a driver in the vanilla
kernel sources. It is very reliable and they can be bought for about two
pounds on eBay. Installation is a matter of dropping a couple of files
into /lib/firmware, adding the connection settings in /etc/ppp, and plugging
it into the computer.

-	Pete.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk