[Gllug] Small rant

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Nov 11 16:04:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 11:25:26AM +0000, Nix wrote:
> OK, you've piqued my curiosity. I know nothing about the i432, but...
> how could they have made something worse than the segmented joy which
> was the 80286? What on earth did they do?

Lots more segments - it really was designed so that you could put
every object in a typical program (of the day) into a separate
segment.

As ever Wikipedia has the gory details.  One interesting point seems
to have been that the compiler was very poor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_i432

Oh and of course it wasn't backwards compatible with the x86.  You'd
have thunk that Intel would have learned their lesson the first time,
but obviously not: http://www.sun.com/emrkt/itanic/

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.