[Gllug] Discovery Day

David Reed David at aliada.plus.com
Fri Nov 11 07:57:47 UTC 2005

I was thinking of coming along on Saturday because I would like to
reinstall Ubuntu on my new box, but it involves a problem that was
recently discussed here with no satisfactory conclusion. For me, the
effort of bringing the box, and cables, and labelling them all, in
addition to driving into central London from Buckinghamshire and parking
near enough to New Cavendish Street to carry the equipment to the campus
is a hassle, so I wondering whether it is worth it. Here is the story so
far.

Recently, my old machine expired, so I bought a replacement featuring an
AMD 64 processor and a 200 GB SATA hard drive. My first move was to
reinstall XP on to a FAT32 partition and shrink it. Then I split the
hard disk into a number of other partitions, including one purely for
data. I also installed two legacy IDE hard drives from the old machine
and moved the files across to their new home. Then I tried to install
SUSE 9.1 on one of the IDE disks and had nothing but grief. In the end,
I disconnected the two legacy hard drives and decided to install Ubuntu
5.10 for 64 bit on the SATA disk alongside XP. That worked okay, except
that I could only read the contents of  the Windows directories, not
write to them, which is, apparently, the default arrangement. I tried a
number of remedies but finally managed to render the installation
unusable, so I replaced Ubuntu with SUSE 10 for 64 bit because it is
more user friendly. However, I would like to install Ubuntu again but
there is little point unless I can access my data from any of  the
operating systems. I would like to reconnect and use one of those two
reformatted hard disks for the purpose. So, what I am asking is whether
someone who feels confident about helping me to make the installation
involving two IDE disks and a SATA one, without wrecking the existing
system, feels sufficiently interested to come along on Saturday?

If you need any more information, and I am sure that you will, then I
will be only too willing to supply it if I have the technical means to
do so. Please remember that I am an historian, not a software engineer.

David Reed

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk