[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 10:18:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 09:39 +0000, Ben Whyte wrote:

> In that set of circumstances you can charge them, but in most
> circumstances you need to have evidence which prooves the offence to
> charge someone.  You are not allowed to charge someone with suspicion of
> something, you can however arrest them and bail them.  However allowing
> people who may or may not have terrorist links to wander around on bail
> why you gather the evidence isnt really a very good idea.

If, as you seem to assume, everyone suspected of a crime is guilty of
it, then it isn't such a good idea to let them wander around on bail
until sufficient evidence can be gathered to convict them - it also
seems a bit pointless to need evidence to convict them at all, since
your suspicion suffices.

We are being encouraged to consider suspects with guilty people who have
inconsiderately strayed from the proof of their guilt, and the process
of conviction as one of mere form. They're not and it isn't.

We're also encouraged to believe that the only way to restrain people is
by convicting them of a crime so that we can then lock them up for it
(and we need to lock them until until we can convict them, too). This is
surely an unhealthy confusion, and means we neglect other - legal -
means of restraint.

Regards,
Tom SW

Yahoo! Model Search 2005 - Find the next catwalk superstars - http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hot/model-search/