[Gllug] x11 blurred on right side only

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Wed Nov 30 12:26:11 UTC 2005

Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 12:11 +0000, Tethys wrote:
>
>>Ben Fitzgerald writes:
>>

>>>One strategy would be to regress the x11 updates but I'd rather not if
>>>there is an easy way to fix this.
>>
>>Try it. If it fixes the problem, then you can tell if it really is a
>>software problem. I'd be pretty surprised (the symptoms seem to indicate
>>a gun alignment problem), but you seem to have eliminated the likely
>>hardware suspects -- unless you've just been extremely unlucky and have
>>ended up with two duff monitors.
>

> You haven't just installed some new electrical equipment near the
> monitor have you? A magnetic field close to the monitor would cause
> exactly the symptoms you describe.

These reasons all assume a CRT monitor. I've had similar problems both
with CRT due to an excessive dot clock rate, and on TFT due to some
indeterminate problem that was solved by a factory reset of the device.
Checking that all the video signal specs are well within the bounds of
capability of the monitor is probably the first port of call.

The TFT I use reports specs via DDI which are a range including the
recommended refresh rate and native resolution, so I force it in
xorg.conf for best results.

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk