[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 12:51:31 UTC 2005

On 03/11/05, Anthony Newman <anthony.newman at uk.clara.net> wrote:
> Peter Childs wrote:
> > I'm trying to to write a web site. My knowledge of doing so is rather
> > old and really rather out of date.
>
> It hasn't changed that much.
>

> > I'm thinking of using css, xhtml, javascript, and php which seams like
> > a very large number of different languages to have to mix into one
> > item, But such is the web....
>
> That's not unusual.

I could do worse and add  the fact that I'm going to end up using a
mixture of png, jpeg, gif, and just for good measure a bit of sql. But
I'm planning to stitch to (x)html in the main. The advantage of using
xhtml in the main is the fact that is parsable xml not a very odd
language like html.

> > I also find the xhtml spec unreadable and not any easier to use than
> > the old html ones.
>
> The *HTML specs are probably not a good guide to writing it. I tend to
> work from application of common sense and the results of W3C validation,
> although this might disagree with some, but when it comes to getting the
> job done, having a head full of DTDs and stuff won't help.

I tend to agree the html specs were readable and usable but a dtd is a
load of unreadable garbage that makes something highly simple
extremely difficult because they are not written in plain English (or
any other language). (but computer mumble jumble)

> > Am I still writing it by hand or are there any better tools nvu looks
> > good but still does not seam capable of using css properly. (Amaya is
> > not that much better than what I've seen) I would quite like to be
> > able to get someone else to write the bodies ones I've got the basic
> > design worked out and hence the bodies may have to be written in
> > OpenOffice or NVU or something with a nice WYSIWYG gui.
>
> vi :-)

Hmm I thought so. I might get others to use nvu and oo and then had
edit it into something that actually fits the sight. We're heavily
linux based to we could end up with a site that IE does not like one
little bit!

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk