[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Stig Brautaset stig at brautaset.org
Mon Nov 21 11:08:58 UTC 2005

On 21 Nov 2005, at 07:19, Nix wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Jim Bailey stated:
>> Although the sytem generates power which is brilliant, it still
>> doesn't
>> manage to meet the best of the Scandanavian efficiencies where the
>> waste
>> heat from power generation is used to heat homes and work places.
>
> The problem with *that* is that you have to get the heat to the homes,
> which is difficult if your power plant is out in the middle of
> nowhere,
> as most are (Battersea being a notable exception).
>
> Now call me a NIMBY but I don't *want* a coal or oil-burning plant
> nearby because they stink.

True. But this is not always the case in Norway, afaik:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Norway#Statistics

Look in particular at the "Electricity - production by source" point.
Your local power plant in Norway is unlikely to give off vile fumes.

They export the oil so other countries can poison themselves ;)

Stig
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk