[Gllug] small hard disk problem

Kurt Goodliff kurt at lokdar.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 22:48:12 UTC 2005

Minty wrote:

>On 10/4/05, Kurt Goodliff <kurt at lokdar.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Easiest way around
>>it is to install a seperate IDE controller (I'm using a Innovision EIO
>>AP1680 PCI ATA133 RAID (RAID 0 1)
>>Controller Card, which is rubbish at raiding things but costs about £12
>>and gives you two additional IDE ports
>>running at 133 which I'm guessing you current IDE ports don't do), this
>>is assuming that you
>>don't need to boot off this disk (Can be done though).
>>

>Don't need to boot, but looking at the spec on ebuyer
>
>  http://tinyurl.com/2dh3
>
>It says:
>
>  Support up to 137GB Big drive with LBA addressing
>
>Which is odd, given I'm only seeing 137Gb on my new 200Gb disk!
>
>Maybe I need a more recent kernel?
>
>  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.5
>
>Currently on debian woody supplied 2.4.18-bf2.4

Oops I actually checked the specs on ebuyer before sending you the info
I guess I didn't get that far down the page.
However I have this card installed and do have a 200GB installed

              /dev/md0              5.7G  3.6G  1.9G  66% /
              tmpfs                  62M   12K   62M   1% /dev/shm
              /dev/md1              9.2G  2.0G  6.8G  23% /home
              /dev/md2               59G   55G  699M  99% /mnt/storage
           *   /dev/hdh1             187G   22G  165G  12%
/mnt/storage/no_raid_storage*

I'll have to check to ensure that I have the same model I know we still
have about 5 of these in the office still...I think.

What does the BIOS detect the drive as?

Have you checked for jumpers on the original NIC if it's old enough you
may be able to adjust the IRQ settings it's trying to use. Or have you tried
removing the original NIC and installing two new cards this may be easier.

Cheers Kurt
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk