[Gllug] Qmail update - now titled "how do I turn off some of the

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 17:28:07 UTC 2005

From:  Tim Clarke  SEACON GROUP LTD, Tower Wharf, Northfleet, Kent, da11 9BD
Telephone: +44 (0)1474 320000    Web:  www.seacon.co.uk

Hi Andy

I have just had a quick look at the qmail-smtpd source and there does not
appear to be any code directly therein that does any kind of 'socket' code.
qmail-smtpd appears to write and readirect to stdout/stdin  - the incoming
socket connection being handled either be inetd or tcpserver, depending on
how you have configured your system.

I am a bit puzzled by uouir mention of smtp authentication,  as I cannot see
offhand any code to perform this inside qmail-smtpd.c either !

Is your qmail installation compiled straight from the qmail sources (as I
believe it has to be!) ??   I am thinking that this problematical lookup you
mention may well be done before qmail-smtpd is actually invoked, or you have
some patches to the qmail-smtpd.c source which adds smtp authentication,
including the troublesome lookup. If this is the case, you probably need
to locate the patch and modify it !   (A google reveals that there are a couple
of alternative patches for smtp auth that may be applied to qmail!).

As a matter of interest, if I connect to our qmail smtp server at
thames.seacon.co.uk from my home system (which is on ADSL - fixed IP address)
I get an immediate 220 response from the server.
The smtp server allows no relaying and will only accept mail to the seacon.co.uk
domain,  so feel free to compare what happens when you connect to our qmail
server via telnet to port 25 from your ADSL system, to what you get when connect
-ing to your server !

Regards
Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk