[Gllug] Removing LVM (RHEL4)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Oct 19 14:23:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 01:52:06PM +0100, Peter wrote:
> > LVM really does not add much complexity and actually makes maintenance
> > considerably easier if you use it properly.
> >
> Looks like the using it properly is the difficult bit. I see it as
> just another thing to go wrong! Oh I got my solution by doing some web
> searches for people with simular problems! (good old google)
>
> If you've got a better idea I'd love to hear it because rebooting the
> server is not really an option currently!
>
> sudo pvscan
> Password:
> pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
> pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sda2" of VG "main" [228 GB / 24 GB free]
> pvscan -- total: 1 [228.03 GB] / in use: 1 [228.03 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

Somehow your PV has been marked as inactive even though it is active.
That may be the cause of the problem (and if it isn't, it's a
significant sypmtom).  Try using pvchange to mark it as active.  If that
fails (and I think it will), try this:

1.  Use vgcfgbackup to backup the vg config to a file (just in case).
2.  Unmount the filesystem
3.  Use vgexport to export the volume group
4.  Use vgimport to re-import the volume group
5.  Remount the filesystem.

My reasoning here is that vgexport marks a VG and all its PVs as
inactive, so that should at least make things consistent.  The vgimport
should then mark everything as active when it pulls it all back in.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock