[Gllug] CentOS and RHES

Lee, Paul paul at ma1.se
Thu Oct 20 16:02:14 UTC 2005

Alain Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 04:46:55PM +0100, Simon Morris wrote:
>
>>Hello,

>>Where would support engineers who have a little Linux knowledge (first
>>and second line support guys) come unstuck when using these two
>>operating systems?
>>
>>Are they similar enough that for day to day maintenance they wouldn't
>>know/care which distribution they were working on?
>

> Cantos take the RH source RPMs and recompile them. The only changes that they
> make are to remove some RH trade/copyrighted stuff like logos.
>
> IE there is no real difference.

Hi
I would echo that last comment. Switched from Fedora to Centos a while
back and administer a whole bunch of (mainly) Centos 3.5 server running
Plesk etc for web hosting etc..

No real difference in terms of maintenance. All the usual update tools
apply ie. yum etc... and the config files are all in the same place ;o)

A good choice IMHO.

Paul Lee
www.ma1.se
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk