[Gllug] Non-interactive sftp

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 16:40:44 UTC 2005

Steve Nelson writes:

>I'm trying to allow sftp using key-based authentication so that some
>critical files can be transferred securely via cron.

Err... why? sftp is designed for interactive use. If you want something
non-interactive to run from cron, use scp instead. That said, you'll
still have the same problems. You can mitigate them by:

1. Running a restrictive shell. This screws people that want to use a
   graphical client like winscp, as /bin/ls won't work, so they won't
   get a file listing. If your target audience doesn't include such
   people, then it's worth considering.
2. Running in a chrooted environment. This is a good idea for many reasons.
3. Restricting the commands that a user is allowed to run if they've
   authenticated with a given key. Again, a good idea.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk