[Gllug] suse 9.3

Croker, Grant Grant.Croker at ca.com
Mon Oct 24 08:06:45 UTC 2005

On
> Behalf Of Diana Scott
> Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 5:51 PM
> To: gllug at gllug.org.uk
> Subject: [Gllug] suse 9.3
>
> Hi
>
> I am a newbie and need some help with suse 9.3. Suse said it is very
good
> for first time user but after i have installed 1.8Gb of software from
the
> dvd. I couldn't find the email Evoultion program on the desktop menu
list.
> don't even think it was installed after all.

To see if it did get evolution installed run the following from a shell
window:

rpm -qa | grep evolution

if it is not installed you will get nothing back. To install you have
two options.

Either run YaST2 (from the KDE System menu) from within Software ->
"Install and Remove Software" you have the chance to search and install
for evolution.

The alternative option is to determine the package name for evolution -
then as root install evolution using YaST2 -i <package name>.

Using the command pin you can determine what is available to install. If
you have never run pin before you will need to have your CD set or DVD
at the ready since it needs to copy across ARCHIVES.gz so it knows what
it has.

On my system it comes back with:

---> ./DVD1/suse/i586/evolution-2.2.1-7.i586.rpm

To install this run:

sudo /sbin/YaST2 -i evolution

It should then go off and install all the necessary files and their
dependencies.

> I could find the Jukebox program but it couldn't decode the mp3 files.
>
> Do you know how to update Firefox from 1.0.1 to 1.0.6?

The current version is 1.0.7 and is available via the YaST online update
service (aka YOU). You can get to you via the command line:

sudo /sbin/YaST2 you

or

via the Software section of YaST itself under Software -> Online Update

hope this helps

grant

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk