[Gllug] Spam

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Mon Oct 17 12:16:56 UTC 2005

Russell Howe wrote:

> Really, the best method at the moment would seem to be for as many mail
> servers as you can, get them to refuse spammy mail at SMTP time, and try
> to share as much information as possible between them to help them learn
> about new messages (be it fodder for the bayesian filters or whatever).

What I do, because spammers target the lowest MX server, is to set-up
the last MX as the same server as my highest MX.  This has been quite
successful to date when I've been using in-line SMTP spam scoring (at
the moment I'm not - I change my config my often than people have hot
dinners).  That plus tarpitting does have the desired effect and
generally puts off those spammers doing dictionary attacks early in the
attack stage.

As for Greylisting - having dealt with it as an end-user and as an admin
it's far more trouble than it's worth.

Regards,

	Martyn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk