[Gllug] Removing LVM (RHEL4)

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 20:09:56 UTC 2005

On the topic of LVM I'm trying to use some spare space on my LVM (I've
got about 84GB unused currently) But unforinally lvcreate does not
work.

sudo lvcreate -L 80G -n company main
Password:
lvcreate -- ERROR "pv_status_all_pv_of_vg(): no PV" getting status of
volume group "main" from kernel

I think its because lvm thinks I'm using devfs which I'm not. So I'm
guessing I need to reboot with devfs switched on and then use lvcreate
I can't just mount devfs as the error messages get even more silly!
(Like telling me I'm using the wrong version of lvm)
Anyway now where did I leave that error message....
Hense probably the main reason for not using LVM is that not using it
keeps things simple and  more fault tollerant.

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk