[Gllug] Data Communications, Computer Networks and Open Systems

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Oct 14 15:20:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 03:52:34PM +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> I'm also looking for a decent book on webservices that provides that
> kind of detail - everything I have seen assumes .Net and/or Java
> rather than Perl or C++ and only covers their specific API's rather
> than how it actually works.

I suspect the reason is that you probably don't want to know :-( I
spent some time this year implementing a SOAP client from scratch, --
ie. generating and parsing XML, automatically making stub functions
out of WSDL files and so on -- and it's horrible.

As far as I know only Java and .Net have complete web services stacks
(ie. complete support for all the horrors in SOAP/XSI/WSDL and all the
UDDI stuff above that).  Support for SOAP in Perl is pretty awful and
anything above SOAP virtually non-existant (yes, I'm referring to
SOAP::Lite here).  I suspect that's mainly down to the fact that Java
and C# are such poor languages that they need all this infrastructure
to do anything useful, whereas transmitting data between a couple of
Perl programs is and always has been comparatively trivial.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk