[Gllug] Any UK banks using one time passwords / secure ID tokens ?

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Oct 2 21:21:17 UTC 2005

Peter Childs wrote:
> You will also note that many of the Scandinavian Countries do same day
> account money moving unlike the UK where it always takes at least 3
> days and sometimes 30 or more.

It's not just same day, it's virtually instantaneous. This is probably
helped by the fact that there are few "high street" banks.

There is the flip side of the coin, though, in terms of charges.  You
are charged (about 11p) for making a withdrawal from a machine that's
not owned by your bank and you are charged for transactions under
NOK300, about £26. The obvious solution here is to ask for cash back up
to this threshold. All shops take cards (swipe and PIN), there is no
minimum amount you need to spend to use your card.

It's amazing how enlightened banks are here, really.  You walk into a
branch and there are no glass screens between you and the cashiers (each
of whom unfailingly greets me by first name).  For all non-cashier tasks
  you deal with exactly one person, and it's always the same person
(lunch hours and holidays excepted).

Internet banking here shames that offered by HSBC  (not used anyone
elses) and previously I thought HSBC's was pretty good.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk