[Gllug] OpenSolaris

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:51:24 UTC 2005

On 27/09/05, Wiehe, Simon <simon.wiehe at csfb.com> wrote:
> Take a look at the Sun web site. I have a DVD with the distribution on
> but it has limited network hardware support so cannot actually use it
> for anything but stand-alone. Not a lot of use as the DVD just contains
> the OS and nothing much else.

Do I take it from your statement above and the following phrase on the
site that Open Solaris isn't a complete running operating system?

Microsystems, Inc, that is initially based on a subset of the source
code for the Solaris Operating System. It is a nexus for a community
development effort where developers from Sun and elsewhere can
collaborate on developing and improving operating system technology.
The OpenSolaris source code will find a variety of uses, including
being the basis for future versions of the Solaris OS product, other
operating system projects, and third-party products and distributions.

Initially, the OpenSolaris project will provide the core kernel,
libraries and commands that are currently distributed with the Solaris
OS. Over time, it is expected that additional parts of the Solaris OS
will be made available through the project.
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com