[Gllug] Bug in grep? Surely not ...

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Sep 20 14:06:08 UTC 2005

I have this rather large data file, and I want to get out just the
non-zero rows:

  http://annexia.org/tmp/col4

So:

  egrep -v '^0\.$' < /tmp/col4

works fine.

BUT if I redirect the output to a file, grep hangs consuming 100% CPU,
but strace shows its not doing anything at all.

  egrep -v '^0\.$' < /tmp/col4 > /tmp/costs

I'm quite sure this can't _really_ be a bug in grep, but I'm at a loss
to know where to look.  Is it something really stupid which I've
overlooked?

$ uname -a
Linux arctor 2.6.13-rc7 #1 Thu Aug 25 08:56:19 BST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
It's an ubuntu 5.04 machine with an upgraded kernel.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk