[Gllug] OT - chip & pin

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Apr 3 11:41:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 11:03:04AM +0000, Benedikt Heinen wrote:
> >I have to admit that I believe the notion of a simple 4-digit number as a
> >means of security is somewhat flawed.  A random number of characters using
> >a 'old style telephone' keypad with letters on each numeric key would seem
> >much better, since users could then use a more-easily remembered word as a
> >PIN  !

I have just been speaking to my bank/access, they referred me to:

	http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/

(I'e not look at it properly yet).

They said that my pin number goes through their system but is only displayed
as **** and that the tills are installed by approved people only so that
means that I can trust it entirely.

I asked what happened if their tills had unauthorsed s/ware installed on them.
I was told that only approved people are allowed to install s/ware on the tills.

So now I am completely happy - not.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.