[Gllug] OT - chip & pin

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Apr 3 16:02:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 16:25 +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> and those swipe machines with
> carbon sheet still exsist and are still in use!

When I bought my current car I ended up paying for it that way.  I'd
contacted my bank in advance to make sure they would authorise the
transaction of my debit card, and the dealer to make sure they could
accept it.  Then when I turned up to pay and collect the car, although
the dealer phoned and got authorisation (including me talking to them
because of the amount of money involved) the card terminal just kept
declining the transaction.

Fortunately the dealer reasoned that he'd got explicit authorisation for
the transaction so put it through on the old imprinter.  It apparently
worked fine.

Come to think of it, I've got an imprinter in a drawer here.  And a card
terminal come to that (because the providers didn't bother to collect it
when I cancelled my account).

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk