[Gllug] Request for Help with Community Project - Installing and Supporting Edubuntu (Linux) in Youth Centre

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Apr 25 19:05:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 02:22:17PM +0000, Alex McMahon wrote:

> I am working as part of a group who are setting up an 'internet room'
> in Putney Vale Youth Centre (London). We have 5 computers which we will
> be installing Edubuntu onto. However we are concerned that without a
> small amount of ongoing support the computers will gradually become
> outdated, degrade or stop working.

Or get rooted, or exploited by the local users. Whatever solution you
go for, I'd recommend ensuring you have a failsafe 'kickstart' ability
to do equiv of a bare-metal install at any time. A box running a combo
of DHCP/PXE/Apache would be able to serve as a network boot & install
server, reducing the task of re-install to simply reboot & hold down
F12 for network boot.

Dan.