[Gllug] /etc/fstab entries

Chris Ebenezer chriseb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 00:22:11 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Steve Nelson <sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me fairly unwise to have fs_freq and fs_passno set to
> zero, does it not?
>
> On a similar machine, I have simply gone for:
>
> /dev/sda1               /u003                   ext3    defaults        1 2

fs_freq is dump related and does not have the effect you think it does on fsck.

With ext2/ext3 the maximal mount count and the check interval are more
important to get right.  fsck actually does a check when either are
exceeded - if set - or where the superblock marks the filesystem as
not cleanly unmounted/containing errors. In all those cases it will
run whether or no fs_passno is set to zero.  If the force (-f) flag is
used, it'll again run anyway - even if fs_passno is zero.

In fact I can't see that it has an effect with e2fsck at all - though
presumably other filesystems could still use it.

--
chris
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk