[Gllug] Even more increased airport security announced.

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Aug 23 10:46:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 05:39:54AM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> These "liquid bombs" are obvious nonsense - do a little basic research on TATP
> (their supposed explosive of choice), and you'll see that there is NO WAY it
> could be assembled from its component parts in an aeroplane toilet.

I used to make HMTD as a kid (probably get locked up for being a
"terrierist" if someone did that now).  By the looks of it, it seems
that TATP is a very similar compound made in almost the same way.

Raw ingredients are easily available -- hexamine tablets, citric acid
and strong hydrogen peroxide.  But, tricky to make in an aircraft
toilet.  You'd need to lock yourself in for several hours, and it
gives off a very distinctive smell, and you'd need lots of ice water,
and messy filter papers (it takes several more hours to dry).  All
things which the crew would spot.  Even if you succeeded in making it,
you'd then need to pack it and detonate it -- if not packed and
completely confined, it just flames rather than exploding.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk